Sunday, January 18, 2009

One Car and the case of early rising

So for those who have not heard via another outlet, we are down to one car (plus the motorcycle). Before we left for our Christmas vacation to see Mark's folks, I broke down in the Prism outside of Hays. I was headed to Hays to hear my best friend from high school sing in her senior recital. By the way, she was amazing. The recital sounded beautiful. And she looked as lovely as she her voice sounded. :) Anyway, I had taken the Prism (normally Mark's work car) so that Mark could pack the Elantra. We were headed out the next afternoon after he got off work. He was only working the morning that Friday. Well the Prism was known to burn oil. My thought was Mark would have been on top of keeping oil in it. Anyway, long story short he wasn't due to a hard to remove cap and the engine seized. We had to have the car towed the rest of the way to Hays (I was maybe 15 miles out) and Mark had to drive the 3 hours to Hays to pick me up and then 3 hours home. UGGG!!! There was a whole other mess of picking it up. A coworker of Mark's bought the car from us (which even with gas costs to get it transported back and other costs turned out to be a better deal for us than selling it the the salvage yard in Hays). Thus we had to transport it back to Hesston. Thank goodness for a car mechanic step-father who loves me so much to help. :) So presto we are down to one car and the motorcycle (which I'm not licensed to drive, although one of these days I will probably try to learn to drive and get licensed)

To be completely honest we had be throwing around the idea of selling the Prism. Of course we were going to wait until the weather warmed alittle, thus making biking, walking and riding the motorcycle (Mark) easier. Instead here we are scrambling to try to figure out how to get everywhere we need to go. My current bicycle is in very poor condition. And while I have a kid trailer for the boys, Cai is way to small for it yet. And it is true that the weather today was wonderful for walking. But it being KS and winter that changes day to day. Luckily for us the mild winter has meant Mark has been able to ride to work some mornings. Plus he does have a coworker he can sometimes catch a ride with. Yeah!!! Anyway, this last Thurs it was so cold. Everywhere as you might remember. So I agreed to take Mark to work. Now he is supposed to get in at 7am. We didn't make it in till closer to 7:30 maybe even 7:45 but hey that's ok. His boss is pretty understanding as long as he gets the hours in, it's not a constant thing, and he is continues to do good work. So I was up at 6:40am that morning. This is early, extremely early for me. The boys and I don't normally get up till around 8am and some mornings I can lie in bed till 8:30, although Ian is usually awake and playing. The next morning I also took Mark in. Both mornings I was surprised at how awake and refreshed I felt (once I woke up completely, which was not until probably I got in the car to drive. I take a long time to wake up. Some of you know this all too well. LOL) Saturday I slept in till almost 9am and I dragged the whole day. So my conclusion is that rising early is actually good for me. Wow never thought those words would come out of my mouth. On top of all that it seemed to agree with the boys as well. Thurs. morning, once we returned home, Cai took at least a 2 hour nap in the morning. He usually only cat naps (several time). I think getting up earlier will mean he'll nap more during the day. Which will be good for all of us because he won't be so cranky come evening. Cai is a wonderful night time sleeper. But he hasn't been good at day time naps, especially for a 5 mo old.

Well, the plan is for me to continue to get up with Mark on week days. Even on mornings I'm not driving him to work. While I'm not looking forward to having to wake up, I am looking forward to hopefully feeling more energetic and productive (I got so much more accomplished waking up earlier) So I guess that means I need to head to bed. Have to get up early tomorrow :)

2 comments:

Allison said...

Good luck! I am also pondering making that sort of change. I have an 8:00 four days a week next semester, so I'm thinking about going to 6 a.m. kickboxing some days to be fully alert for class. But 5:30 is SO early to wake up...

kate said...

First of all, I think you should write a book someday with the title "One Car and the Case of Early Rising" - it has a nice ring to it.

Best of luck with the early rising! Something similar happened to me last week as well. I´ve been waking around 6 every morning to get the children ready for school, but always with a morning nap immediately following. One day Emmi was sick so I couldn´t nap, but I was surprisingly energized the rest of the afternoon, and it was much easier to sleep that night. Now I just need to find the courage to part with my beloved morning naps...