Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Blueberry jam and Blueberry soda




Awhile back Rachel, my sister-in-law, and I went and picked blueberries. They had been sitting fridge waiting for me to make jam from them. And today I finally got to it. I used a recipe from Whole Foods for the Whole Family. I really like this cookbook. It made 4 1/2 pint jars of jam. After making the jam I had alittle over 4 cups of blueberries left so I decided to try and make blueberry soda. Using the same concept from rhubarb soda, I pureed the blueberries and than cooked them with 2 cups water and 2 cups sugar. I then strained them to get some of the skins out. I couldn't get all the skins out and it's alittle thicker than I would like. I think next time I'll just cook the blueberries rather than pureeing them. However it's still pretty good soda. It made alot so if you want a smaller batch you could cut everything in half. Just with the rhubarb soda I fill my glass 1/4 blueberry concentrate, put in some ice and then fill to the top with sparkling water. Mix and enjoy! The boys and I have already enjoyed a glass each. YUM!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So after being in the fridge for a day or so the pulp in the blueberry soda solidified. I was than able to strain off the liquid for sodas. I have been using the jelly pulp in plain yogurt and today made blueberry ice cream with it. :) Very Yummy! Still think next time I'll boil the blueberries whole and strain out. Could still use the strained blueberries in yogurt and ice cream.