Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Blueberries for Ian (and Cai)


Last week the boys and I went to pick blueberries. Despite it being hot and humid we had a great time. Although it should be said that they boys ate all of the blueberries they picked. While a few made it into their buckets they did not stay there for long. I however did manage to pick 4 lbs before the boys were too hot and whiny. Thinking about it now I probably should have taken them in the morning rather than afternoon. However I think because of the time of day we picked there was hardly anyone else out and we had the entire row to ourselves. Meaning that the boys were free to run up and down the row without me worrying about them bothering anyone. So in the end I think it was worth bearing the heat and sun. All the blueberries are gone now. I made another batch of jam. The last batch was a freezer jam that used gelatin. This batch used pectin and I canned it. I'm thinking of giving several of the jars as Christmas gifts this year. Yes I know it's August and I'm already thinking of Christmas. But planning ahead never hurt anyone :) I also made a batch of blueberry soda. This time I cooked the blueberries whole and then mashed them with a potato masher after draining the syrup off. We have been using the sweetened blueberry pulp in yogurt. Yum! And the blueberry soda has turned out so much better. Sadly it's already gone :( I than froze the rest. My sister-in-law says she puts frozen blueberries in oatmeal to help cool it down. It's such a great idea. It's will cool it without making it watery. I know my boys will love that come cooler weather, as they love oatmeal. Sometimes I think Ian would eat it everyday. I wish we could go back and pick again. It was a fun way to spend the afternoon. Unfortunately the farm is now closed for picking. Hard to believe that summer is coming to a close. I'm certain ready for some cooler weather.

3 comments:

musical_bug said...

Kristin, love reading all your entries! I was thinking of starting a blog too, but then I realized I don't have anything exciting to blog about - haha!!! Anyway, I'm going to keep up w/ you more and try planning out my meals like you do, thanks for the inspiration! Love you guys, talk to you soon :)

Allison said...

That picture of the mostly-empty bucket reminded me SO much of "Blueberries for Sal" - definitely a favorite children's book of mine.

Cilla said...

Say HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the boys for me!

I can't believe the baby boy I held 4 years ago have grown so big already. It warms my heart to see him thrives.

You and Mark are truly a blessed couple