Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Date Night

Saturday afternoon Mark took me out to celebrate Valentine's Day. (Good thing we did it early cause we've had sick kids since Sunday. Things are finally starting to turn for the good around here and we look to be on the up) He refused to tell me what we were doing or where we were going. He's only words were that we would be outside and then going to eat. So I was to dress warm but nice. Not all that helpful but that's ok. Turns out he took me ice skating in the near by city of Elkhart. It was wonderful. It's started to warm up around here. Suppose to be in the 40s the rest of the week. On Saturday it got to up to low 30s. So it was actually quite perfect, especially for ice skating. After we tired we walked along the paths by the river before heading to dinner. We went to a wonderful sushi bar called Stirred. It sits right across the river from the place we went ice skating. So we got to walk. We got there right after they opened and were lucky enough that they had one table left. Mark said he was going to get a reservation, but as they are not open during the day he could not get a hold of them away from home. I've decided not to tease him and just be grateful things worked out. :) Stirred is really a wonderful little restaurant in one of the old downtown buildings. The space has exposed old bricks and old stained glass windows. It was cold due to the age of the building but they have places space heaters around to help combat the cold. The food was delicious. We had their Valentine's Day special. It included cheese fondue with bread and fruit, your choice of sushi roll, your choice of hazelnut chicken or medallion filets and than dessert.  I choose eel for our sushi rolls (my favorite) and we had the medallion filets with sauted mushrooms. Everything was wonderful. The sushi was great. I would love to go back and just gorge on sushi. It really is sad my husband doesn't like it more. The filets, served with mashed potatoes and asparagus were tender and just melt in your mouth. And for dessert we had mint chocolate cheese cake which was deathly rich. It was the perfect Valentine's Day dinner. And a magnificent date. Oh how I love my husband and his surprises. They don't come often, but they are always filled with love.

3 comments:

Allison said...

Oh my goodness, that menu is like all of my favorite restaurant foods rolled into one! Cheese fondue + sushi rolls + steak with potatoes and asparagus?!? I think you may have found restaurant nirvana, Kristin.

Unknown said...

Oh I 100% agree with you Allison. I've already told Mark we have to go back sometime. Of course, it's also priced so that we can't make it a weekly occurrence. :( Stupid student loans sucking away money from great food and fun.

Pastor Cindy said...

Sounds like a fabulous date! Your husband rocks! Glad he takes such good care of you dearheart.