Friday, August 10, 2012

6 years and Kindergarten Ian

 It's hard to believe that my little boy turns 6 today. I find myself wondering where all the time went. When did he get so big, with opinions of his own. He certainly is an oldest child. Trying to keep order over his brothers, freaking out when they do something he knows they shouldn't. It's both endearing and very frustrating. And yes Mother, I reaslize he is my child and thus takes after him mom.
Ian decided he wanted dinosaurs on his cake last minute. I sorta panicked not sure how to make this work. I had planned on just writing Happy Birthday. Instead I used dinosaur cookie cutters as a pattern and filled them in with frosting. It worked and he was happy.  Yeah for quick thinking!
 In addition to being 6 today, Ian started his first day of Kindergarten. Being completely honest I have been in and out of panic since last night. I broke down cause I couldn't get the window closed in their room last night while putting them down. Sure it was raining, and going to be cool all night. But it was still unnerving to be so on edge. He did great. Had a wonderful day. Said they played outside in the morning but not in the afternoon cause it was raining. Told me about the zoo legos and how one of the boys took all the animals. We then proceeded to have a talk about using words to ask to share just like when he is home with his brothers.
 Something tells me my panic will not be over after today. having so little control makes me nervous. And while I know he will continue to do great at school, I'm still going to worry. And the very fact he is now a kindergartner will probably be a source of anxiety  for awhile.  Silly sure, but true.
We have been reading Star Wars A New Hope. This set is R2D2 and C3PO ,
 their escape pod along with Storm Troopers! 
 My boy is growing and there is nothing I can do to stop it. It's crazy, I have been waiting weeks for this day to come. Excited for him. Excited for the new friends he will make. Excited for the new things he will learn. Excited for the structure that kindergarten will provide both him and myself. And I've been excited for me. Excited for the time I will get to focus on Cai and Aiden. Excited on finding a rhythm again. And now that it's here I'm not sure I'm ready.
My dad sent a box of legos from when my brother, steps and I were kids!
 It will be well loved around here.
 But life will keep moving. Monday will come quickly and once again he will be off. Off to play, off to learn, off to explore in this new adventure. So here we go. Ready or Not!  I love you my wonderful, bright 6 year old Ian!

No comments: