Friday, March 19, 2010

We're off to Great Places

Have you read Dr. Seuss's Oh the Places You'll Go? For what ever reason, the boys have been asking us to read it alot of late. And after reading it one afternoon, Mark turns to me and says does the waiting place sound familiar? Yes that dreadful "Waiting Place".

"...for people just waiting.
Waiting for a train to go
or a bus to come, or a plane to go
or the mail to come or the rain to go
or the phone to ring, or the snow to snow
or waiting around for a Yes or No
or waiting for their hair to grow.
Everyone is just waiting.

Waiting for the fish to bite
or waiting for the wind to fly a kite
or waiting around fro Friday night
or waiting, perhaps, for their Uncle Jake
or a pot to boil, or a Better Break
or a string of pearls, or a pair of pants
or a wig with curls, or Another Chance.
Everyone is just waiting." - Dr. Seuss Oh the Places You'll Go

It caught us in that moment how often we have found ourselves in that Waiting Place these past few years. We waited until I gave birth to Cai for me to apply to Seminary. Than we waited for an acceptance, waited for a response on job applications that Mark placed at various companies in Indiana. We've waited and waited for the chance to bring us closer to the future we envision. And the strange thing for me is, the moment I decided to stop waiting was the moment our chance came through. After Aiden was born Mark and I discussed our future on a regular basis. Trying to feel each other out. I still want to go to seminary, but I feel the need to stay home with my kids during these early years of their lives. Plus I know that full time school means having that find childcare, which we honestly can not afford. Mark wanting to grow beyond what his company can provide, however he feels there is still much to learn from those he works with. So after many talks we decided that maybe it was best if we stayed where we are for the time being. Enjoying life as is. Now Mark has been in contact with a company he worked for during High School and in the summers of college. In prior conversations they did not have a position open. However, soon after (Mark says the next day) Mark had informed his supervisor that we were planning on staying in the area for another 4-6 years, Mark received word of a position opening and was asked to do an interview. He jumped right on it. A couple of weeks later the company offered him a job. After many late night talked, some praying, and some negotiations with the company concerning salary and such, Mark accepted.

"NO!
That's not for you!

Somehow you'll escape
all that waiting and staying.
You'll find the bright places
where Boom Bands are playing.

With banner flip-flapping,
once more you'll ride high!
Ready for anything under the sky.
Ready because you're that kind of a guy!" -Dr Seuss Oh the Places You'll Go

So we're off to Great Places! Mark's last day at his current job will be April 9th. We will than pack up a U-haul, celebrate my step-Grandma's 90th birthday, attend church, say good-bye to Newton, and head out to Goshen, Indian. We plan to leave on the 11th of April and arrive at our new house on the 12th of April. Yes, we already have a house lined up. That's what we were doing when we went to Goshen couple weekends ago. We'll be renting to start, but plan on looking into buying in another year. Mark will start his new job on April 19th. Which gives us alittle less than a week to get settled before he starts work.

I can't express the emotions that have swirled within these last several weeks. I'm excited about this new job. It's a great position for Mark. And I'm excited about the possibilities that it will provide for me, although I still plan on waiting till at least Cai is in school before starting seminary. But for all my excitement, I'm scared too. For the first time in my life I'm moving more than 100 miles from my family. Currently my mother is only a 30-45 minute drive away, my brother is an hour. Goshen is a 14 hour drive, and that scares me. Not only that but while I'm ready to embrace this opportunity, I'm not ready to say goodbye to my friends and community I have found here. These wonderful people who have surrounded me for the last 4 to 7 years, both through college and beyond. I'm scared to leave this support system I have created, the routine I've made and the places that have attached to both because of the peace I've found there and the friendships I've made there. I'm not ready to leave, and yet I will. Because it's time to move forward, and this is our chance. It's time I take the leap of faith I keep telling myself I'll take. I'm doing my best to place my trust in God to guide me. And doing my best to trust in family to help me, both my and Mark's, as we move from away from mine and close to his. It's a big change, but this change is good.

"You're off to Great Places!
Today is your Day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So... get on your way!" -Oh the Places You'll Go

So I take Dr. Seuss words and smile. We are on our way to a whole new set of adventures. Keep us in your thought and prayers this next month. Life is sure to be a whirl wind for awhile. :)

No comments: