Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A beutiful Holy Wednesday

I have to admit, I like Holy Week. Especially when it is filled with spring beauty. For me the beauty of spring is the perfect symbol of Holy Week. It's the reminder that rebirth and resurrection are possible. That life can and does come out of death. Death will never win. God's strength and power always bring about new life. Now I also have to admit, like many progressive Christians I find myself questioning the facts of the resurrection. But what I love about Holy Week is that the facts don't matter. It's the truth that at the heart of the resurrection story. And facts and truth, believe it or not, don't have to go hand in hand. Stories can be true even if all the facts are not. The truth of Holy Week is the power of God, the power of light, the power of LIFE! The boys and I were outside this morning hanging up laundry. Well Ian was running around the back yard and Cai was happily swinging in his swing. The songs of the birds was crisp and sweet. The smell of fresh grass strong. And the warmth of the sun made me smile. Even the yappy neighbor dog was a pleasant sound. I just had a wonderful feeling that Spring is here. And the darkness of winter finally gone. Rebirth is happening before my eyes. Easter is happening before my eyes. It was a wonderful feeling.

Speaking of Easter happiness. Ian and I boiled eggs this morning. This afternoon when he wakes up from his nap we will dye them for this weekend. I boiled 16 eggs. Unfortunately only about 12 will be dyed b/c the rest cracked. So we ate them for lunch! Yum! I love hard boiled eggs. I currently read several blogs written by moms who are crafty, thrifty and working on being environmentally friendly. Several of these blogs have been talking about alternative methods for dying eggs using fruit, spices, and vegetables. I would love to do this, but I just don't have the energy this year. I'm hoping in the future though. Instead I'm going to use food coloring rather than go buy a dying kit. One I have food coloring on hand thus I don't have to buy anything new. And two, the more I think about it, the more I realize I have no idea what is in those dying tablets you buy at the store :). So we'll see how it goes. I'll update you, hopefully with pics, when I get a chance. Have a great Holy Week everyone.

For those interested in using produce and spices for egg dying here is the link to the article as well as a link to the blog I found it on. Enjoy!
Natural dyes for eggs
Big Green Purse

1 comment:

Mark Saner said...

The neighbor's 5 dogs, not just one. All crammed into a space that isn't even fit for 1 dog.