Friday, January 21, 2011

Knits for Mama

I'm a pretty slow knitting. Mostly because a project doesn't hold my interest for long periods of time As such it sometimes takes me months to finish something because I will go weeks in between without knitting.  However of late I've been on a knitting kick again. I've enjoyed the meditation of simple stitches. My hands knowing the rhythms needed to complete a row/round. For Christmas I made a hat for my mother. And liking the idea of knitting something other than diaper covers, I decided my next project would be for me. I started with a hat, similar to the one I made my mom.
 However, in my attempts to make the hat alittle bigger to better fit me I somehow achieved the opposite. The hat turned out too short for my head. :( It is so pretty though. And fits nicely on the boys.
 
Since neither Ian nor Cai wants to wear it, I've designated it Aiden's hat. And boy does he look handsome. So now I needed to find another project for myself. I've looked longly at patterns for sweaters since I taught myself to knit. But the very idea of such a big project always scared me. However, I thought it was time to branch out and give sweaters a try.
 
And who better than to start than with myself. So armed with the generous monetary gifts my family gave at Christmas I headed to our local knit store Ewe-Nique Knits. I should mention that I miss the ladies down at The Newton Beadery. However, I'm sure over time I can get to know the ladies at Ewe-Nique Knits. Just takes time. OHH thought, maybe I can spend part of my free Thursday afternoons there. You know on the weeks that my sister-in-law has the boys (Clueless? Check my post here)
Picture accompanying my pattern. 
Back to point, I found a pattern that will both challenge me without being too much. I found a nice summer cotton yarn. And I have officially started. One of my New Year's Resolutions is to knit a sweater. While I certain hope it does not take me a year, I'm trying not to make any unrealistic deadlines for the finished projects.
 My goal at this point in time is to be able to wear it this Spring as the weather warms. I think it will make a nice attention to my spring wardrobe. Wish me luck!

No comments: