Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Setting Goals and recording progress


We are quickly coming to an end of January and I'm still thinking about my New Year's Resolutions; or as I like to think of them my Goals for 2011. Yes I do have more than one. Each year I find I tend to have several things I want to change and/or achieve. I try very hard to not set any goal too high. And I find that new goals come up through out the year. But the nice part of celebrating a New Year is that it's a great time to look at our lives. Am I happy in my life? If not why? So here are some of my goals this year.

1) Post at least 1 blog post (in addition to menu plans) a week.
       - I find that posting about the boys, my achievements, or just every day life is a great way to get my thoughts out. I feel better after. And check it out, this post will be number 11 for the month (number 8 in non-menus)

2) Knit a sweater for myself.
      - I wrote about my desire for knitting for myself here. So far my progress is good. I have really enjoyed just sitting and knitting. It's meditative. Check out my progress. I have about 10 more rows on the yoke to go.

3) Have a family outing at least once a month.
            - I feel as if tension is high at our house. Being cold and snowy out means we spend alot of time indoors. And all that time indoors means little boys' energy spills over, driving mama and daddy nuts at times.  In hopes of reminding myself why I love parenting, I want to get out of the house as a family. Spend time not only together, but enjoying being together. This month we have had four outings. 
1st Fridays Fire and Ice Festival - check out Goshen's First Friday's schedule
Sledding and snow play at a local park
Bowling with cousins
Curious Kids' Museum in St. Joseph, MI


4) Going out on a date with my husband Mark at least every other month. 
           - Mark and I rarely go out anymore. Life just seems to get away from us. But Aiden is no longer so young that I'm worrying about him as much. While he still nurses, he no longer needs me at home to nurse him to sleep. Thus making time for a date should be less stressful. It's just a matter of setting aside time. Wish us luck. :)

5) Having family game night twice a month. 
          - Cai is now old enough to play many of the kids games we have. In fact Ian, Cai and Mark played Go Fish a week ago, and Cai needed surprisingly little help.  My hope is this week when my mother gets here we can spend an evening playing a game or two together.It is again a way to provide fun family bonding. 

As you can see, many of my goals surround how I spend time with my family. I find that sometimes I get so caught up in the daily living of cooking, cleaning, and such that I forget to enjoy the time I spend with my kids. My hope is to change this. Really enjoy my children's stage in life. I'm quickly realizing that if I don't I'm going to miss it. 

More week to week, and month to month goals will come up. My sister-in-law and I have decided to get together once a month to talk about these type of goals and help provide some accountability for each other. This month we went out for coffee after the kids were in bed, talked about our goals but also just our lives. It was a nice break. I'm looking forward to more evenings spend like that with her. 

One last note. Mark found this great website Family Days Out USA. It allows you to search your area for family activities, both indoor and outdoor. We found several places we didn't know about on there. So check it out.  

No comments: