Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Groundnut Stew- cookbook entry

So as I mentioned in the Menu Plan Monday post my church is putting together a cookbook. And I am submitting two recipes. :) Tonight for dinner we ate one of the meals I'm submitting: Ground beef Groundnut Stew. Mark grew up eating groundnut strew. It is one of his favorite meals. His mom used a recipe from the cookbook More with Less. When Ian was born, my mother had been given a ton of ground beef, and so she gave us several pounds every time we went to visit (which was often). My mother-in-law adjusted the recipe for ground beef in place of the beef cubes it originally calls for. Over the past few years I have in turn made adjustments to suit my likes. And the outcome is a meal that both Mark and I love, as well as the boys. So I thought since I'm submitting this recipe to my church, I would share it here as well. Hope you enjoy!

Ground beef Groundnut Stew

Saute until browned 1/2lb ground beef and 1 chopped onion.
Add 1 clove minced garlic, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1 Tbsp chili powder, and 2 Tbsp flour. Stir until juices are absorbed.
When meat is browned, add 1 8oz can tomato sauce, 1 16 oz can diced tomatoes, and 2 cups fresh or frozen vegetables of you choice. (Tonight I used frozen corn and peas) Simmer until veggies are tender.Half an hour before ready to serve, add 1/2 cup peanut butter and simmer.Serve over rice with curry toppings. Our favorites include: chopped apples, raisins, pineapple bits, peanuts, sunflower seeds, and banana slices.

In case anyone is interested. To call a recipe your own without violating copy right laws, you much change at least three thing within the recipe. Changes can include additions, subtractions and substitutions.

No comments: