Sunday, February 14, 2010

Homemade Hamburger Helper: Cookbook entry

I had planned on making this recipe on Thursday. However my wonderful mother invited me to come eat at her place. Which I jumped on because Mark was still gone and I was eager to get out of the house. Mark came home at 8pm Thursday night. We all survived. :) And dinner at Mom's was great. She made me a wonderful meal and then we watched Bob the Builder with the boys till Mark called to say he's plane had landed. So tonight I decided to make my hamburger helper recipe. This is the other recipe I entered into our church cookbook. I'm not sure where the original recipe came from. I thought I had found it in the cookbook my mother-in-law gave me from her church. But every time I have tried to find it again I can't. However I can say that I've made this meal so many times it feels like I could make it in my sleep. It's easy and everyone like it. I was telling Mark at dinner that I often forget how much I like it. It's such a simple meal but has become sorta a comfort food around our house. Easy and enjoyable. Hope you enjoy it too. Note about ground beef: To make things easier for me I tend to cook ground beef a pound at a time. I then use half in recipes such as this one and freeze or refrigerate the other half for later use, depending on the menu that week.

Homemade Hamburger Helper

8oz elbow macaroni or macaroni shells
1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 16oz can diced tomatoes
1-2 cups frozen peas
salt and pepper to taste

Cook macaroni in 2qts boiling water for 8-10 mins until tender. Drain.
While macaroni is cooking, brown ground beef with onion. (I used dried minced onion tonight so I added 1/2cup water to soften onion)When browned, add diced tomatoes with juices, frozen peas and salt and pepper. Cook until peas are cooked through and most of juices absorbed. Mix together hamburger mixture with macaroni and serve!

1 comment:

Terah said...

We like this recipe, too. I use a very similar version Hamburger Helper - Home-Style from More With Less, page 120.